i ♥ sky.



One of my favorite things in the whole wide world is to lay down in a field, on a rock, in the sand--at an incline with my head on downward slope--and watch the world upside down. I love how the blood reverses its rush. How fast the clouds glide overhead, the shapes they create as they huddle then dissipate, the condors or geese circle and v between. It's seeing world far away, sped up and simultaneously slowed. If I'm gazing at all this with a loved one, all the better. 

A tad before twilight yesterday, the moon fully eclipsed the sun. We knew it would be difficult for us to see here, what with the sun already heading to sink behind the southernmost Andes. Clouds rolled in to further filter our view. 
{just before the darkest moments}

Advisory: Never never never look directly at the sun, even during an eclipse. I remember how important my teacher made this out to be when we tried to view a partial eclipse in grade school. Just as you can set fire to grass using the sun and magnifying glass, so does the lens in your eye concentrate the sun's power toward the back of your eyeball. It will burn your retina, causing severe eye damage or blindness. Before any eclipse event, look up all the ways in which you can safely view an eclipse. Most are simple and inexpensive methods, requiring that your back is to the sun and that you view the shadow play of the moon covering up the sun--projected onto something else. 
 {post eclipse light + sunset}

But even though our view wasn't as good as it was, say, on Easter Island, it was still super cool. Sunlight pinked the hills as it set, and then for about two minutes all was dark. In a transition so smooth, the sky and peaks brightened again. But since it was sunset time anyway, the clouds lit up in a stunning display, first colored the flesh of mandarins and mangoes, deepening to ruby grapefruit and watermelons, finishing off with red and purple grapes. (I miss fruit, can you tell?)

{pinkening}

Find more love here, for Much Love Mondays.

{image 1: unknown, please let me know if it's yours; all others by me}

21 comments:

Abby said...

I love sky too! I used to lie on my back and watch the clouds go by and imagine what shapes they were.

ALFIE said...

these sky photos are amazing!

Faiza said...

am looking out at the sky rightnow and she is gorgeous! thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

I've recently become a kind of cloud-spotter :-) They make the sky look so interesting... (or do I sound totally weird now?!)...

Anonymous said...

your pics are fantastic! I'm so jealous you got to experience a little of the eclipse =)

Anna Walker said...

I love the sky, and watching the clouds, and I have always loved storm clouds! They're just so dark and lovely! :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics!! I haven't really done this since I was a kid ~ maybe it's time to lie in the grass! xo

Nicki said...

This was such a beautiful post! I absolutely adore that heart-cloud photo!

this free bird said...

Very very cool. Thanks so much for sharing. And re: the clouds? I've been known to lay back and watch a couple myself :) - Carrie

Kamika said...

stunning photography, well done!

georgia ~ gi gi said...

Beauty is all around YOU, and I love how you appreciate it!
“When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky”
Buddha

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Oh, your reminder of laying down and staring up at the sky brought back some wonderful memories. I to love doing that, although, I can't say I've done it much recently. I'm going to have to change that this summer. Lovely post. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience. Thanks so much for stopping by. =)

ilovemyhouse said...

We have the most amazing skies here in Holland sometimes.Dutch painters most favorite subject to paint. XX

Barbara von Enger said...

I adore watching the sky and its various shades, colours and moods.

There are days when I capture sky on canvas. How wonderful it is to be able to enjoy such a simple form of pleasure. Trust you are well;-)

Mariska Meijers said...

you live in a breathtaking country!

muchlove said...

wow, these photos are stunning!

OneCraftyFox said...

Gorgeous images and I love your style of writing. Your blog is fantastic!!

Have a beautiful day :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Those photos are amazing...Wow!!! You have a wonderful blog here and I cant wait to read more of your posts:) Happy Tuesday and see you soon:)
Kisses

Jennifer Young said...

whoa!! the heart in the sky! is that real picture??!

orange sugar home said...

the middle photo of the glowing mountains is just amazing. how glorious! what a treasure to have witnessed that in such a special place.

heather said...

Thank you for all your lovely comments. And what a beautiful idea to take this as a reminder. So true!

@Debby, if the grass is dry, I reckon it's time to lie down in it :)

@Gigi, thank you! I love that quote!

@Fashion, would love to be able to capture the sky on canvas... Someday.

xoxox

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails