friday present: thank you.

It all started with a post a few days ago from my dear friend Claire at Bicoastally, which introduced me to Faiza's touching gratitude journal: It's Gonna Be a Lovely Day. You can read the post, listing five things she is thankful for on The Perfect Compilation Tape. Another day later, I read Micaela's version of thanks on her lovely space, Dolce Vita. I love how quickly the paths of discovery and serendipitous moments happen in the web world, and especially in blogs. 

So, what have these girls been up to? They've been creating beautiful 5-item lists of gratitude. If we could just wake up every day and take a few moments to remember what we are thankful for, to breathe some space and presence into such thankful moments, wouldn't the world be that much prettier, saner even? Surely, our interactions would be loving and smiles. So here's my five of the day. I might end up doing this every week, as each week rings in its surprises, and someday it would be fun to look back at the patterns of such loving lists. 

1. letters.
Today I received two letters in the mail, hand delivered with a special knock on the door by the Correos de Chile bike messenger, dressed all in red. One was a poem and card from my friend Ian. We went to undergrad together and worked on Reed Magazine, SJSU's literary journal. We recently started a mail exchange, though I'm still not sure if I'll go the poem route or the hand-drawn postcard route.

I also received a little packet from my aunt, with some beautiful postcards from her recent trip to Russia, and my new California Driver's License. I would be so lost down here if it wasn't for these frequent mailings of stuff I need from the States! Thank you!

2. wheels.


The license I received from the States will come in handy down here driving our new car! We have been living a transient life, staying in Patagonia for the summers (opposite y'all in the northern hemisphere), and blowing this popstand during the winter. But this year we stayed. I never wanted to buy a car before, because I always planned on coming back "home" soon. Why spend money on something we don't really need and won't use for that long. 

But, man, now that we have it, I just don't know what took me so long to want it! The freedom! And warmth: Life can continue, even if the weather outside is horrible. We just hop in the car and go. I love our 1990 Subaru. We just got it back from the repair shop today, by the way. Someone hit it while it was parked, fessed up a couple of days later and even paid for most of the damage! 

2. internet.


Most of us take connection for granted. But I lived without it down here for a couple of years. And I can't even tell you how much more comfortable and comforting it is to be able to connect with people wherever they are in the world. To make new blog friends. That somehow every day brightens within a few clicks. Not to mention general knowledge, oh lovely Wikipedia, poetry, books... and recipes!

4. cooking.


I have been cooking up a storm lately. My latest endeavor was a buttery delicious roasted butternut squash and carmelized onion galette. It turned out wonderfully, even in our third world kitchen with the old wood burning oven converted to gas, sans temperature gauge, whose heat only comes from left side. I found the recipe on Smitten Kitchen, and though I'm surprised I worked up the nerve to try to make it with our limited resources, it turned out successfully! Serkan was happy to eat something so rich and flaky. I'm generally a vegetarian cook who keeps the butter use under control. In fact, I couldn't bring myself to use as much butter as the recipe called for... 

5. my ever-patient, loving husband.
Simply put, I just don't know what I would do without this dear love in my life. 


What would your gratitude list look like? If you create one, link up and let me know. I would love to read it!
{photos: bench; letters; internet; galette & freedom: yours truly; us: serkan}

12 comments:

georgia ~ gi gi said...

Oh, you have a lovely blog, and seems like a lovely life going on!
Love the photo's. You can tell how much you and your husband are in love! So beautiful!
Glad you found my blog, I am really glad to have found yours!

A'n'G Johnson said...

Thanks for checking out my list. I love yours! Gratitude is such an awesome feeling!

Amanda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I'm glad you did because now I've discovered yours too. What a lovely post, I think in the busy day to day routine, it's important to stop and reflect on all the positive things in our world. For me, top of my list that I'm grateful for would be good health of myself and my family.

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I love your gratitude list! I am quite thankful for the internet too! I love how it brings people together like finding beautiful blogs such as yours! Such a cute picture of you and your husband! I love it. Happy weekend!

Claire Kiefer said...

LOVE YOU and love this list and love that picture of you and S. I'm so happy you're updating your blog regularly now!

When do I get to hug your neck again??

Faiza said...

grateful today that our paths have crossed. wishing you joy today and always.

Anonymous said...

I get frustrated when I can't access the internet! I am married to my iPhone :-) Thanks so much for finding me, I'm following you back and look forward to more! Have a lovely weekend :-)

Anna Walker said...

Oh my gosh, that's so lovely and amazing! I am glad you made your own gratitude list, and I will be soon to follow!

P.s. where are you living now? I am a little confused, but I agree with the whole wheels = freedom.

Unknown said...

Oh, lovely! I really appreciate that, I'm big on gratitude lists. It's interesting too, the things we take for granted, like cars and Internet! You guys make an adorable couple, have a wonderful weekend! XO!

heather said...

Thank you for all the lovely notes and for following!

@Amanda, I agree, our health and ability to do simple things, like walk or see or type is a top-of-the-list gift!

@Poppies, YES! The internet has been warming my heart lately.

@Claire, Love! I wish I could say sooner rather than later. We hope to be back in the states sometime *soon* but that might mean next March or so... Sigh.

@Anna, I'm living far away in Southern Chilean Patagonia now. We're planning on moving "back" to the States someday; I'm originally from California. I put back in quotes because my husband's Turkish (we met here, in Chile), and he's never been to the U.S. We're working on immigration papers now. Can't wait to see your list!

Happy rest of the weekend to all! Hope you enjoy it with your loved ones. xo

Aleyn Comprendio said...

Oh how I wish I receive leterrs wrapped in those lovely ribbons.
That would really make my day.

you have a beautiful blog!

Micaela said...

Heather, you are adorable!!! i love how the blogging world connects us... Claire & Faiza are my favorites, and i bet in time... so will you ;)

reading lists like these make me happy! (i just wish i could cook up a storm ;) cos that dish sounds DELISH!)

xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails