as american as.

Apple pie. 

 

Since we are on the autumn and winter fruit cycle, we have lots of apples and not a whole lotta anything else. This morning I woke up with a pie-making urge, probably left over from the pie recipes I drooled over last night. I've been reading about cherries everywhere lately. Oh, how long has it been since I've eaten a cherry? It feels like it's been more than a year, though I remember eating freshly picked cherries while we were in Turkey last (northern hemisphere) summer. It's just that the cherry bushels never make their way this far south. 


I imagined the pie I would make, before I even tumbled hopped out of bed. Serkan skipped to the corner store for butter, while I started to prepare my first apple pie ever. It's another Smitten Kitchen recipe. I poured fresh lemon juice over the sliced apples before fanning them out inside the crust and then I added a bunch of cinnamon. The crust is not completely pie like. I guess because it's more of a tart, and the crust is more like the savory galette crust I made the other day. I chose this method because we don't have a pie-sized tin/glass. Going freestyle was the easiest way! Another scrumptious kitchen success! Not cherries, but still festive and American-esque.



Also, Instead of making a glaze as called for in the recipe, I boiled down all the cores and peels (and some extra apple filling for slicing too many apples) with some sugar, a cinnamon stick and a few cloves for a few hours to make a delicious cider, which I'm going to curl up with in bed right now. 


Wishing all you North Americans a colorful, love-filled 4th of July!

9 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

YUM! Wish we could share a pie together. I love and miss you especially right now . . . not sure why I'm so sentimental but would do anything to be sitting on my couch with you and a bottle of wine. love you lady.

Poppies and Sunshine said...

The apples look amazing! Love that apple picture with the hearts :)
I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

this free bird said...

This looks absolutely fantastic. Would absolutely love to try a piece...and the cider sounds delicious as well!! Hope you're having a great weekend. :)

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

This apple concoction looks absolutely delicious! I love how you positioned the crust.
Thanks for stopping by today and having a cup of tea with me. I enjoyed your comment about Madonna - I have to absolutely agree with you. It takes courage and inner strength to feel we can (and should) ask/demand what we want. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. =)

little luxury list said...

Yum! My husband is allergic to raw apples, but has no problem eating apple pie (esp. one like this!)

Thank you for your sweet comments - I'm so intrigued by the different wallpapers and am looking forward to making that rainbow colored ice cream cake some time!

Anna Walker said...

Yummmm! That looks amazing and I can seriously smell and taste the cider right now (it reminds me of autumn which is my favorite, amongst all the seasons!)

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

Melissa Blake said...

My favorite pie. In. the World! xoxo

and flowers pick themselves said...

so gorgeous! hope you had a wonderful day!

xo Alison

Kathy said...

I was thinking of making an apple pie too today, and this seals the deal....I have too. I have really enjoyed your blog you are so bright and talented, good luck with your move, I will be following you to see how it all turns out. Best wishes my new friend

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails