santa cruz beach boardwalk.



The Giant Dipper, so much younger (but still more than 80 years old!) and smaller than the Big Dipper, and yet...

It's my all-time favorite roller coaster (and I do love a good roller coaster). I'm gooey sentimental over its red and white frame. I first rode this thing with my mom, more than a decade ago (okay, almost two, but that makes me feel remarkably old and I can feel it as though it was only a few months ago). The sound of its chain lugging the coaster cars up the first drop, ocean waves rolling to shore, people screaming and laughing, winning prizes and eating chocolate-covered soft serve ice cream... It makes me taper off. 



As we waited in line (a really short Tuesday line), I checked out the sizes of all the kiddos (I assume on spring break) and thought how much Rowan would enjoy this someday. After hollering through the Giant Dipper's dips and curves, I remembered how often you jolt into your car mate or get air, meaning bum fully leaving the seat and knees hitting the lap bar--only thing holding us in. S says it gave him whiplash. But I love that roller coaster dearly. And it was our whole purpose of heading into the retro tunnel of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk for our little date without the babe. We had to make it quick, since R still isn't sold on bottle feeding. But papa'll continue working on that one. 

Do you have a favorite roller coaster?

12 comments:

flwrjane said...

Yes. I love your blog.

No. I hate rollercoasters, actually any ride.

Yes, i highly appreciate the sentiment.

xo Jane

Dawn said...

ack! i like to pretend i like a good roller coaster- but i honestly am petrified. i will let you take a round for me;)

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I was JUST thinking today that I want B to take off work so we can go to Six Flags. I havent been to an amusement park in years.

Kathleen said...

oh santa cruz. i spent my childhood vacations there. i remember you could ride free(?) if you brought in a pepsi can or something like that.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a favorite, but I like rollercoasters. And I loved Santa Cruz when I visited as a teen - Like something out of a movie, for real.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Love this! Roller coasters sorta freak me out, but...I think I need to try just one more time!

Poppies and Sunshine said...

What a fun place! I love the roller coaster at California Adventure. It's just fun, not too extreme....just right!

Anonymous said...

My favorite roller coaster would have to be the Magnum (or maybe one of the newer ones?) at Cedar Point. To die for!

Looks like such a beautiful place to be!

LatteLisa said...

roller coasters are not my thing but I love how you spent your date day ;-)

Sam Harvey said...

Great colorful photos. I do appreciate those coaster structures too!

Unknown said...

awesome!i have bever been there!! looks like so much fun! :) i am having a giveaway on my blog, that is perfect for spring&summer! a RAD BIKINI by a young Mexican designer! check it out, you wont be disappointed ♥ i promise!

DolceDreams said...

Thanks for the deja vu...my husband's from santa Cruz, and I would go there often as a kid...can't wait to take my boys there again!
Nathalie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails