happy birthday, my little heart melter!


Dear Rowan Skye,

Today you are one. I can't believe that you can reach the third shelf of the bookcase, that you take baby steps all by yourself when you're not thinking about it. I can't believe you've been with us for a whole year. I can't believe you've been with us only one year. How can you be so new and so forever at the same time? You'll surely hear me talk about the exquisite uselessness of time in the years to come. I hope I can sometimes express it with a semblance of wonder.

You love opening and closing your books while sitting on my lap. I keep reading even after you've clapped the pages shut on my fingers. You love emptying items from anything and tossing them behind you. And you love opening your drawers and cupboard in the kitchen and clacking the measuring cups together.

Your diaper tantrums are a huge part of our lives. Sometimes it's hard not to laugh, because it's such a stereotypical tantrum--head moving side to side, arms and legs flailing alternately. It makes me appreciate the easy changes, when your body's lithe and I can snap the diaper on evenly. I'm always surprised when my singing actually calms you. And so often it does.

Mommy doesn't remember the lyrics to almost anything. You are my sunshine has tons of verses, where the color of the sky varies. In mommy's version, you never go away. 

You have always loved the ceiling and lights and looking up. This hasn't changed much since you were born. Now, too, you love disco balls. When you want to get closer to something, you say woooo ooowa oooowa and wave your hands. Balloons make you go a little crazy.

You love the swish swish wind in the trees and eating Mantego cheese. You love going for walks in the baby carrier and for strolls in the jogging stroller. You love sneaking up on yourself in the mirror, walking around the house by pushing the giant exercise ball. You love to nurse, to be tickled, to look at the world upside down. 

When you wake up, you pat my face and giggle before I can manage to pry my eyes open. You pull yourself up on the bars of the headboard, shake the blinds, and talk to the sunshine. When Daddy comes to get you, because somehow he's almost always already awake, you give the hugest smile and point at him with your wrist.

I love the way you use your tongue to bluther bluther bluther talk. The big open mouth kisses you give me on your way to explore something else. I love the quick succession of crawl steps when you decide to chase something you want. I like how you crawl up my legs, just as I'm starting to chop something for dinner. How when I pick you up, you make me take you to say swat your disco ball or hello the mantel mirror. I love you, big boy.

Thank you for choosing me be your mom. 


22 comments:

Lila said...

Happy birthday little Rowan.

I completely know what you mean when you say so new and yet forever.

I think you'll look back and be grateful that you recorded all your thoughts...I wish I blogged (or journal-ed) when the kids were younger. Precious times!

Stacey said...

I am still in disbelief that Rowan is one! It seems like yesterday that I was looking at your very big belly:-). Rowan is super handsome and happy birthday to him! Lots of smooches!:-)

Unknown said...

what a ball of energy, sweetness, and pure delight!

happy birthday little one
and
happy birthing day mama!

Monicaw said...

Omg, look how big he is getting! What a little cutie! My granddaughter (Eleanor) just left after staying a few days here and it was so fun having her around. She is such a good baby. She is almost 5 months now. Let's get together soon and catch up. Are you still local?
~Monica W.

OneCraftyFox said...

Positively heartwarming :) Happy birthday to your little cutie pie!!

Di said...

Happy birthday dear Rowan! You are adorable - easy to see why your parents love you so much!! Hope that you all have a lovely day celebrating!

Faiza said...

happy birthday rowan! it has been so sweet watching you grow up so far. wishing you many more birthdays little one.

Kristen said...

this is so precious, happy birthday Rowan!

little luxury list said...

Happy birthday sweet Rowan and may mom sing many more lovely songs!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Rowan!!

Casa Très Chic said...

Oh, your baby boy is gorgeous!
Enjoy your moments with him as much as you can.
Hugs
Tereza

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Rowan ;-)

I still can't believe it's been a year. And I just realized that my oldest daughter is turning 12. How did that happen?!!

Gracey said...

Yay! Happy birthday handsome! :)
Sending love and well wishes from across the pacific!

fifth floor apartment said...

so much love. this is wonderful.

xo alison

honey my heart said...

happy birthday to rowan!!

Unknown said...

What a lovely post! And Happy Birthday to your gorgeous boy! :)

Arctic Mum said...

Happy birthday to your sweet boy! He's adorable. Isn't it fantastic, I enjoy every minute of being with my little six month old. Time goes so fast, I wish I could stop it! This being my last child, it's also a bit sad to see her grow too. And yes, is was freeezing cold to take Northern Lights pictures. I think most of those photographers are a different kind of Man. Cod tongues is actually a traditional dish here, though I don't think my kids will like it...

DolceDreams said...

Aww! Happy Birthday to you both!
Nathalie

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Awwww Happy Birthday to Rowan. What a cutie!

drollgirl said...

well happy birthday to your little man! he is SUCH A QT!!!!!!

Tiffany Kadani said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet little one. Such a beautifully written post.

shopgirl said...

He's just gorgeous Heather - he has an incredible smile! Also, I love this ode to him. One day he will be able to read this and won't he realize how blessed he is!

Wishing you a wonderful week sweetie!

http://rambleswithreese.etsy.com
http://rambleswithreese.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails