a little august love.



Overall we enjoyed a super productive weekend. I finally got around to putting up pictures and unpacking books; Serkan fixed up the hose and washed the car (a pretty much all day job on both accounts). I wrote some letters (finally!)...

And I started crocheting a blanket. I have never finished crocheting anything before. And before this project I only really knew how to make one stitch. Last night, I watched and rewatched YouTube videos with some Crochet for Dummies and About.com sites open for more specific info on the stitches. I am a beginner. But do I choose a simple pattern? Hmm, no. I've already pulled out my beginning once and am tempted to again, but I think I'm going to nimble my fingers through it and see what happens. Wish me luck!

{pea in a pod from etsy}
I must mention again that I am a beginner. Oh, at so many things. This morning greeted me with a lovely post on the gift of encouragement. We had to run out of the house shortly afterward, but I kept thinking about the importance of encouragement. The day spriraled forward and I realized again that I live with the greatest encourager on the planet. All I can wish is that each of you has someone to enhearten you when you most need it. And when all else fails, this little blog community gives quite the hearty dose of encouragement. And it's only appropriate to thank you. Thank each and every one of you. Thank you. 

{for you by teiko}
...

I'm in my 30s and I suppose, at this rate, I'll be a wide-eyed beginner forever. Sunday was my mom's birthday. (I didn't plan to write about this, but it all feels connected.) It's something I noticed on Saturday night and then went on with my business. In the morning, the decorating bug finally bit me. (Hard to believe we've been living here a month already and are barely getting around to decorating! I've never waited so long before.) Last night my aunt wrote to me about some vitamins I'd ordered. She also mentioned that my mom would have been 60! That she probably would have handled it better than some others in our lovely family. That there's not a day that goes by that she doesn't think of one of her sisters. (My mom and one of my aunt's passed away in the same year, about 18 years ago.)


My aunt has always been wonderful at feeding me information about my mom. I've always been hungry for stories and mostly too shy to ask. (Have you felt like this before?) It makes me smile to think that she would have handled aging well, maybe even gracefully. Today I spilled my third glass of water in a week (slight exaggeration, maybe...). I find myself wondering where grace has gone. And, then there's my husband, encouraging me. And reminding me it really is all OK. And I'm reminded, too, that the first person we need to encourage (and be kind to) is ourselves. 

{by laudeu}
Today we went for a hike and made our first "winter summit": a little hillock with a feathers-thick layer of snow crunching underfoot.

{by tim plante}
Love and be kind to you. 
{non-attributed photos: unknown, please let me know if they're yours}
 


23 comments:

georgia ~ gi gi said...

Aw, I had to fight back the tears! You are such a beautiful soul!
August is a special month :)
Big Big Smoochies
gi gi

Claire Kiefer said...

Sweet girl. I love you. Your mama's spirit, somewhere up there, is so excited for the adventure you're having right now.

Alicia Lund said...

Aww what a sweet post about your mother! I have always wanted to learn how to crochet... what a great idea to youtube it! ;)

a little black cloud in a dress said...

I never finish anything I start to knit. Wherever your mother is, I hope she had a happy day. :]

Oh, My Darling said...

I'm a novice crochet-er, too.

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Awwww... what a sweetheart. I know that your mom is proud of the person you have become today. =) I hope you have a wonderful month of August

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful post - thank you for sharing!

I love your words about being a beginner at so many things. We're all novices in so many ways and encouragement is one of the surest ways from which we can grow!

Kimminita said...

What an emotional post to read. And what a great aunt you have. I am sure some of your mom lives in her and in yourself.

k said...

that is so beautiful about your aunt and so special that she tells you stories about your mom - it kind of made me tear up =)
I'm a beginning at knitting...i'm trying to learn online but it's not working out so well! i just want to make a scarf!

Škorčica said...

Beautiful thoughts - so touching...

Anna Walker said...

Beautiful, Beautiful post. I am glad you have found an encouraging partner and will keep crocheting. Enjoy August to the fullest of your abilities :)

Unknown said...

beautiful - thanks for sharing love!!!

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Gorgeous post!

Abby said...

Beautiful post. I have the feeling that it's not really that bad to be a wide-eyed beginner, approaching new things with a sense of wonder and achievement.

OneCraftyFox said...

I have always wanted to learn how to knit or crochet.

I love all your little stories :)

Elizabeth said...

You are an inspiration and a generous soul. Thanks

GingerGirl Photography ~ Amy Ferrell said...

What a beautiful post! I am excited to get to know you via mail! I haven't had a penpal decades to be honest, and now to have one in Chile! I've become a follower on your blog and hope you will do the same with mine! Cheers! Amy

k said...

hi! so we moved to switzerland last november because mark got a job here! it was a little crazy and a really hard decision to leave friends/family...esp as i was about to start a career. but i couldn't be happier (for now, haha). it's been amazing. we are here indefinitely but at least 3 years. If we want to stay longer we can, so I guess we will see...It's definitely different. What is your story?!

kelli g. { bug miscellany } said...

what a great post.

it does all seem connected. :) thank you for sharing this.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

I love all of this and the little peas!

Faiza said...

Love and be kind to you too. xoxoxoFaiza

Micaela said...

my heart hurts after reading this.. both for your loss and the beauty of your aunt sharing stories.

I agree- YOU ARE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL SOUL!

congrats on the crocheting bug! i sooo wish i was a crafting goddess xoxo

Ashley said...

I needed to read this. Thank you for loving & encouraging!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails